Friday, May 10, 2013

We're All Different


“How’d the SAT’s go?” my dad asked.
            I was getting out of my car and walking towards him as he leaned against his car, waiting for me. It was my sister’s graduation from college, and I just drove three hours to get there separate from my family because I had to take the stupid SAT’s.
            I started to shrug off my shirt while my dad grabbed the nicer shirt Mom had for me in the car. It was pressed and still on a hanger.
            “The system was made for monkeys,” I replied.
            “Huh?”
            “It’s like telling the animal kingdom to take a test to see how smart they are, but the test is to climb a tree. The monkeys have the advantage. I’m a fish.”
            “Now, look, everyone has to work hard and do their best.”
            “Yeah, yeah” I replied as I buttoned the last button on my shirt.
My dad closed the door to the car and locked it, and we started walking toward the gymnasium. The graduation started in a couple minutes.
“I’m sure there’s water somewhere,” I said.
“What?” asked Dad.
“For a fish to swim in.”
He chuckled as we opened the doors and walked inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment