Friday, January 25, 2013

It's Not For Nothing

I once knew a guy. He was just a friend's friend. But he had an incredible story. I met him only twice, but he was the friendliest guy you would ever meet. I shook hands with him, and you could see his smile as he said "whats up mah brother" and cracked a smart remark to ease the awkwardness of meeting someone for the first time. He had an effect that made you feel like you knew him for a long time. Once he left, naturally curious, I asked my friend about him. "He lived on the streets for a very long time, homeless. He has some kind of past, I'm not sure. Might of had an abusive father. He somehow got on his feet, and started a flagging business, of all things."
"Whats that?" I asked.
"Its people that signal for construction on highways, roads and the sort. Anyways it really took off and now he does really well. He employs mostly people that were homeless, trains them, and gives them a chance at a job."
I thought that it was a very inspiring story. A few months later I asked my friend about him, and learned he was dead. "Why? How?" were my immediate questions. "He attempted suicide a couple of times, and one time it worked."
I was taken back. Someone that was so happy, so full of life, and overcame so much. I couldn't believe it.

Sometimes I wonder why we're all here. Why does God not just bag the whole thing and start over. He doesn't have to send anyone to heaven or hell, just have us cease to exist, like animals or something. But then I realize that its not for me to decide. Is the story God's writing really worth all the pain and heartbreak? But He tells me there is a purpose. One day this will all resolve. And how the world should end is not up to me, and I'm glad its not. The only thing I have to decide is to be a part of that story or not. When the sun rises, and I stand on the shores of eternity, I will finally fully understand the answer to the ultimate question.Why?

1 comment: