Monday, January 14, 2013

Most of Humanity Has No Hope


I recently had a conversation with a friend. It was night time and I was driving through town to drop him off at his house. Music was playing softly but we were sitting mostly in silence. “Doesn’t life seem simple to you?” he asked. “What do you mean?” I responded. He said “I have a friend who recently made a bet with a guy from the mob. He bet five thousand dollars on a game and he lost. He now owes the guy ten thousand dollars that he doesn’t have. They’ll kill him or break something if he doesn’t pay. How can you actually get yourself in that situation? Can’t you just not bet?”
 “When something like that happens, I’m usually not surprised” I answered. “Yeah I guess it’s a sickness” He returned. “Life’s a sickness” I said. “Then what’s the escape?”
“Death.”

2 comments:

  1. Joe, This is so true ... we see it in Iquique as well, and have never felt it as keenly as we do now after the suicide death of our colleagues' daughter. We who know Christ know HOPE, and how desperately the world around us needs us to share Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is sad but true. I feel privileged to know hope, and recognize the need to share it. Thanks for being such a light in Iquique! You continue to be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete